A new year and a new contract with the Port of Seattle, brings new energy to ANEW – Port Jobs' primary partner in the Apprenticeship Opportunities Project. In 2011 we will be working with ANEW to increase apprenticeship opportunities, particularly for White Center/Boulevard Park and South Park residents as the South Park Bridge construction gets underway.
This year we will also see a focus on the Transportation and Logistics and Manufacturing sectors as we continue to develop pathways in workforce development that address community needs in the Port-related economy.
The Port Jobs/ANEW partnership includes work with many organizations including
- White Center Community Development Association,
- King County,
- City of Seattle,
- Port of Seattle's Office for Social Responsibility, and
- Seattle-King County Building Trades Council.
Since 1994, ANEW has operated the Apprenticeship Opportunities Project (AOP) with funding from the Port Jobs. AOP helps Washington state residents who are unemployed or under-employed and seeking work in livable wage jobs or apprenticeships in these ways:
- One-to-one, personalized assistance on resumes, job and apprenticeship applications, and interviewing skills (by appointment Monday - Friday)
- Weekly workshops featuring construction trades topics relevant to today's economy and competitive workforce
- Links to livable wage construction job postings and current apprenticeship openings
- Direct connections to employers looking for qualified applicants
To qualify to participate in AOP you must be 18 years of age or older and a resident of Seattle or King County. To apply for AOP either complete a pre-screening form here or call (206) 381-1384 to schedule an appointment.